Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lent... But I Am Not Catholic...

Okay, so I never understood why, as a Protestant, I participate in Lent every year. Also, why we treat it like a diet. The purpose of Lent is to replace something you do every day, something that would be difficult to give up, something that is hindering your relationship and prayer life with God, and dedicate the time you would use for that thing to talk to God or read your Bible or at least do something that aided in growth in your relationship with Christ. I mean I could give up coffee, and every time I think of coffee I would say a little prayer. Or I could give up Facebook or my blog and use the time I spend on these social networks in prayer and meditation. But in six weeks, I would be right back at it. It's like joining AA, but then hitting the bottle every Sunday because I can. Now I commend those who are giving something up, but please do it because it will, in the long run, help your relationship with God.

One of my friends shared my view of Lent with me today. He said what I had been thinking. He said, "The way I see it, you can do one of two things for Lent. You can give something up or you can do something." So that is what I am doing. Something. I have chosen to join a wave of people who are participating in something called 'Relentless ACT:S of Sacrifice'. Every week of Lent, they are providing me and others with a challenge to dive deeper into what sacrifice means to us and what we can sacrifice for His kingdom. The first challenge is to post a video, blog, poem, rap, whatever you want that tells your story. They want you to say what sacrifice means to you, and what you plan to get out of this experience. So this is me...

I am a daughter, friend, tutor, employee, student, classmate, and teacher for Christ. My name is Aimee Fish. I am 19 years old, and I have not accomplished anything big in my life... yet. I have big expectations of what sacrifice means. Sacrifice to me is complete surrender. It isn't about you. Not in the least bit. Your job is to be a servant. Not just to those who need it, but to those who don't as well. Who are you to say that someone doesn't need your help? "Oh well they have plenty of money. They couldn't possibly need my help." "Look at how many friends they have. I'm sure they are getting all the help they need." I say this because I was that person. I still am in a lot of ways. But I am getting better at showing my true colors. I was the person who put on the facade to make it look like I had it all together. Even when people offered me help, I refused. It was like I felt I had to prove myself. I hated relying on others. I still do. It is what I struggle with every day. It is people like me who I try hardest to reach out to. Those who think they need to go it alone. Sacrifice is laying down your pride and picking up the cross. It is helping others to see the light. Sometimes, it is just being there to pick them up when they fall.  Sacrifice requires all of you.

What do I hope to get out of this? Well, better understanding. I plan to wake up every day and ask God to open my eyes to the opportunities of sacrifices He provides to me. In all honesty, I want to help others. I want to be a better friend and daughter. I want to be a better sister. I want to be a better student. I want to be better so I can help others be better. I can't help others if I can't help myself. But my help needs to come from others as well. But most importantly, it needs to come from the Lord. He needs to be my priority. I want to sacrifice physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and even financially. I hope to become a better follower of Christ. Maybe this was just the shove I need to do something be. I look forward to seeing how God provides and the plans He has for my life this Lent season.

No comments:

Post a Comment